Many don’t know why you should link NIN to Sim card or phone number today we are going to discuss why the federal government wants to block your phone number because of NIN
Your phone number could be blocked before Christmas for security reasons.
On Tuesday, December 15, 2020, the President Buhari-led federal government, through the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), announced that mobile phone subscribers who are yet to link their phone numbers or SIMS to their National Identification Numbers (NIN) would have their lines blocked.
In a press statement signed by Dr. Ikechukwu Adinde, who is the Director, Public Affairs of the NCC, the commission said:
- Telcos or network providers are required to get all their subscribers to provide valid NIN in order to update SIM registration records.
- The submission of NIN by subscribers will take place within two weeks (from December 16 to December 30, 2020).
- After the deadline, all SIMs without NINs will be blocked from the networks.
- A ministerial task force, comprising the minister and all the CEOs (among others) will monitor compliance by all networks.
- Violations of this directive will be met with stiff sanctions, including the possibility of withdrawal of operating license of the telcos.
In other words, the federal government is saying if you don’t have a NIN, and if that NIN isn’t linked to your phone number between now and the end of the year, your phone line would be unable to make/receive calls or be used for internet purposes.